Welcome to Westmoreland Volunteer Fire Department
Westmoreland F.D. is located in a rural residential area in central Oneida County New York. W.F.D. has a response coverage area of 55 square miles protecting a resident population in excess of 6000 people. The coverage area includes a ten mile section of the New York State Thruway, I-90, between the Utica, Exit 31, and Verona, Exit 33, exchanges and the Thruway's Oneida Service Plaza. Westmoreland's coverage area also includes major gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and natural gas pipelines. W.F.D. is a diversified fire district which includes single and multiple family dwellings, large and small family farms, a K-12 School District and business structures.
Westmoreland F.D was housed on Main Street in the Village. A new station was constructed on station road across from the town hall and highway garage. A fire bell was used to announce emergency calls that was located at the Westmoreland Malleable Plant and was moved in front of the Town Library, across from the new station.
The Westmoreland Fire Department was formed on May 2, 1944. Eighteen men of the Community met and formed the fire department. In July 1944, 37 men attended a meeting and were considered the charter members of the Organization.
In October of 1944 the Town Board appointed the first five Commissioners. In October of 1944 a 500 gallon Pump and necessary equipment was acquired. In addition a 1939 Brockway truck was acquired to carry the equipment. The Fire Departments first call was on March 6, 1947. In September 1947 the Fire Department was incorporate and the fire protection contract with Clinton was cancelled. In 1948 the department's first annual banquet was held at Gavin's Restaurant.
In 1950 the Fire department held its first annual "Field days" and the Commissioners purchased the Departments first new fire truck which was delivered in October. In January of 1961 Westmoreland FD held it's first meeting in the new main street fire house and in 1962 the "Home alert" radio system was put in service. In June of 1971 Chuck Ossont was honored as "Fireman of The Year" of New York State for his heroics in saving property and life when his parent's home burned. From May, 1944 to January 1, 1975 Westmoreland Fire Company had responded to 742 fire and emergency calls. The town and firemen had furnished 4 pumpers, 3 tankers and 2 squad trucks between the Westmoreland, Lowell and Lairdsville stations.